Reflection and Refraction of Light
Reflection of light
Reflection of light is the change in direction of light back in the same medium when light strikes it after putting on a smooth surface light mirror or others.
Laws of Reflection
1. The angle of incidence is always equal to angle of reflection, i=r.
2. The incident ray, reflected ray and the normal to the reflecting surface at the point of incidence lie in the same plane.
Image formed by Plane Mirror
· The size of image is equal to that of object.
· The image formed is as far behind the mirror as the object is in front of it.
Reflection of light by spherical Mirrors
Mirrors, whose reflecting surface are curved inward or outward spherically are called spherical mirror.
· If it is curved inward, It will act as concave mirror
· If it is curved outward, It will act as a convex mirror.
Refraction of Light
Refraction is the bending of light as it passes from one transparent substance into another. It also happens with sound, water and other waves.